Good Ol’ Summertime Rhubarb Custard Dessert With Cookie Crust2013-05-23
- Yield : 1
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar, packed
8 cups diced rhubarb (one long, thick stalk will generally yield about one cup of ‘barb)
6 egg yolks (whites are used in the meringue)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup flour
6 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar (2 tsp at a time)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350; butter a 13×9 pan.
2. Cream butter with flours and sugar, spread in prepared pan, pressing into corners and bottom; bake for 5-10 minutes (it will get bubbly–sort of).
3. While that is cooking, cut up the rhubarb.
4. In a blender or a mixer bowl, beat eggs until foamy and fluffy, add sugar and continue mixing, then add other ingredients until thick and rich; set aside (rewhip right before pouring into pan with rhubarb).
5. When crust is baked, spread rhubarb pieces evenly (press lightly into crust–lightly!); pour custard over rhubarb; return pan to the oven for 45 minutes (knife poked in middle comes out clean).
6. While THAT is cooking, prepare meringue; beat eggs until forming soft (firm) peaks, adding sugar 2 teaspoons at a time, then salt and vanilla last, mixing until stiff.
7. At end of baking time, remove pan from oven, turn heat up to 425; spread meringue over rhubarb/custard, smooth with a spoon into pretty swirls.
8. Brown for five minutes; set the timer–it can burn very quickly!
9. VARIATIONS: Skip the meringue and use whole eggs in the custard; switch out some of the rhubarb for strawberries or raspberries; use all white flour instead of wholewheat in the crust.