Sausage Rolls the Australian Way2013-05-20
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry
2 lbs bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper (to season)
1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup cream
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 425°F In a large bowl, mix together the sausage, onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and milk or cream.
2. Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut each sheet in two lengthwise to make four long rectangles. Form a log of sausage down the center of each puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch edge. Starting from a long edge, roll the puff pastry up and over the sausage, brushing the edge with the beaten egg to seal. Pinch the ends closed.
3. Cut each roll into quarters. Place the rolls seam-side down on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden and the sausage is cooked through.
5. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve with ketchup.
7 Add extra flavorings to your sausage mix as you like: chopped parsley, thyme, curry powder, crumbled sage, garlic powder, paprika.
8 Appetizer Portions: Cut each rolled up puff pastry log into 8 portions instead of 4 to make appetizer-sized sausage rolls. Adjust down the cooking time to allow for the smaller size.
9 Sprinkle the rolls with sesame seeds or paprika before baking.