Wild Blueberry Bundt Cake2013-05-20
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons coarsely grated orange rind
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup orange juice
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1. Grease& flour a 10 inch bundt pan or angel food cake pan& set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks, one at a time, followed by orange rind.
3. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until glossy peaks form and set aside.
4. Sift flour, baking powder& salt into another large bowl.
5. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternately with orange juice, making 3 additions of dry& 2 additions of juice to make a stiff batter.
6. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remainder; fold in 2 cups of the berries.
7. Scrape into prepared pan& smooth top.
8. Bake in center of preheated 350F oven for 45- 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean; transfer to rack& cool for 20 minutes.
9. While cooling make the glaze: bring sugar& juice to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring continuously; boil hard for a minute, then allow to cool.
10. Loosen cake from edges of pan, place a rack over the pan& turn the cake out onto the rack; place a sheet of foil beneath the rack, brush the cake with the glaze& allow to cool.
11. Transfer the cake to a flat serving plate, fill center with remaining berries& dust lightly with icing sugar.